Wednesday 10 September 2014

Fear of the Unknown


I think one of the biggest reasons why people give up or fail at something is the fear of falling. I have been thinking about this a lot lately, I don't know why, and I have come to a conclusion. It started when I was starting to learn how to skateboard. I always thought skateboarding was something the came naturally to a person and if you couldn't do it don't try. As a started getting better at it I realised that wasn't the case. I kept getting really scared that I would fall and it was starting to hold me back. I wanted to get better but I just was too afraid of falling. Thinking I could really hurt myself and most of all it would be really embarrassing. Then one day while skateboarding with my friend I was starting to get some guts. I started to get faster and go down steeper hills. It was then that I realised how stupid I actually was. I was so scared of falling that I didn't even take a step back to look at the situation. My skateboard is only a few inches off the ground, why is it such a big deal if I fall? Is it really that big of a deal? So what if I get a bit of a scraped knee, at least I will have a story to tell. What am I so afride of, it's pretty much just the same as tripping over, which I'm pretty good at anyway. After that I didn't hold back. It's like I had no fear. Yeah sure I fell of the skateboard a few times, but the adrenaline and freeness I felt when I was skating down hills and soaring down the road was way better than fear.
I think people let fear stop them from doing and accomplishing things all the time. The unknown can be a really scary thing. It can lead in any direction, but that it what is so beautiful about it. You don't really know what is going to happen and what is going to become of it. That is until it is done. If it doesn't work get up and dust yourself off. At least you tried.you need to not doubt yourself, but rather have confidence and be bold, you might surprise yourself. Doubt and fear rule this world, don't let it rule you too!
Think about how boring the word would be if people didn't take that jump into the unknown but insteadlet fear and doubt take over. Think of all the lost opportunities or regrets. My advice to you is to let all that fear and doubt go. Don't let it stop you from having fun, being free and reaching total happiness. But what if I fall....darling what If you fly....

No comments: